Content writing is the backbone of the modern economy. Even though 90% of jobs will be taken by AI artificial intelligence in the next decade however, creativity is beyond its capabilities. Skills and jobs will be still required like content writing, persuasion, marketing, and acting arts.
Why we still listen to online marketers and copywriters that relevant content is still the king? This and much more will be discussed in this post.
First things come first; let’s know what is content writing? In short,
content writing is a communication of messages among customers and businesses to sell ideas, products and services to them. Like every communication it is two way communication.
The process of communication is visually depicted in this Infographic.
First the sender sends a message. For this purpose he encodes this message then chooses medium to approach the receiver. When the receiver receives message decoding takes place after understanding this message feedback is given.
However the role of noise can not be eliminated in the presence of it the message can be lost while partial absence or in full absence the message reaches itas destination and the process of communication completes.
Now, remember that content writing is a message sending of businesses, leaders, authors, and for-profit and not for profit organizations who want to send it to customers, community members, readers, and citizens respectively.
To send this message they encode it to be decoded by their target audience which is the receiver in according to our depicted process in the infographic. They chose medium/media through which they can reach their target population.
Within medium, they chose channels whether they need verbal, written or both channels or mix channels. Then they ensure that their message survived of noise or communication barriers. Then they seek feedback from the audience.
This proverbial process is repeated again if results are desirable and if they are not they either change or improve their message, encoding, medium or work on helping audiences in decoding, and work on their feedback to change/improve.
Most of the giant businesses have their own content writing teams, including; writers, editors, proofreaders, graphic designers and marketers. However, small businesses either do it on their own or outsource for content writing assignments which are popular in the writing industry as projects, jobs or gigs.
There comes content writing into a scene, it is just writing for online or offline clients who wish to convey their messages to potential audiences to achieve desirable outcomes.
Saying someone to buy your products and services in a straight forward tone makes you aggressive, immature and greedy, without knowing that what your customers needs?
Copywriter say this same message in indirect methods by first addressing customers’ needs and then your solutions to their problem. This approach makes customers, the hero of the story not you, they buy because they need it for satisfying their needs, not yours. They view you as their hero because they Know you solved their problem.
Most of the business websites make these mistakes in their content writing which kills their chances to reach potential customers and clients they wish to reach.
Here are some basics of content writing you should know to boost your online presence and business, here we go;
- Customer is everything yes, and don’t fool yourself over this.
- Focus on the customer they should be the center of your attention. Forget about anything else.
- Stop bragging about you and your business, it is a big no-no for your career, business and everything you are interested in.
- Avoid competition respect cooperation, competition is for people having a scarcity mentality. Cooperation is all about mutual growth.
- Give something back to the community, you might be thinking why to bother this but remember my friend without contributing back to the community your efforts will be next to useless. A tree with fruits can’t grow without roots. A word to wise is enough, contribute to the WordPress community, writers community, and all concerned communities you are a member.
- Social responsibility, is your long term asset if you show and committed to fulfilling then sooner or later you are destined to succeed in whatever field you are.
- Never compromise on quality, I remember once a customer said to the shopkeeper that whether there was something wrong in the quality of money he give to him and he said no then the customer said why you have given me things of the lower quality? The shopkeeper was speechless. This incidence made a deep impression on me, so I thought to myself that I will never compromise on the quality of material to my customers. So the same advice I am giving to you.
- Quantity is just a relative phenomenon I can bet you on this that 90% of people who know their worth will say that they prefer quality rather than quantity. Basically the quality determines what are your values? Greed is quantity-based and you should avoid this at any cost. Try to write qualitatively rather than quantitatively.
- Share your ideas worth share.
- Money is not everything.
- Respect your employees
- Respect other writers
- Commitment is everything.
- Live by your words.
- Word of mouth is still ruling.
- Enjoy the journey ignore the destination.